The Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) was established in 2012 under the Water Resources Management Act No. 21 of 2011. One of its main functions is to manage and regulate the use of Zambia’s water resources in an integrated, participatory and sustainable manner taking into consideration the human, land, environmental and socio-economic factors. In order to effectively implement its functions, the Authority wishes to recruit a suitably qualified, self-motivated and experienced persons for the following positions: –
HYDROLOGIST (05 POSITIONS)
Department: Water Resources Management and Information
Reports To: Catchment Manager
Location: Catchment Office
- Full Grade Twelve Certificate with a credit or better in English and Mathematics or its equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering Water Resources Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or its equivalent from a recognized University/Institution.
- Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- At least three (3) years relevant work experience in a similar role
- Must be a Zambian Citizen.
- Good organization and planning skills;
- Knowledge of operational hydrologyGood working knowledge of computers;
- Good hydrological interpretation skills and competent in technical report writing
- Working knowledge of the Water Resources Management Act;
- High analytical skills and exemplary work ethics.
- Knowledge of appropriate Geographic Information systems for Hydrological and modelling applications
Purpose of the Job:
Provide input and support in developing, reviewing and conducting activities pertaining to water resources management, including hydrometric stations network, operations, designs and construction of infrastructure so as to monitor and protect surface water quantity and quality in order to facilitate accessibility and sustainability development of the resource.
Main Duties and Accountabilities:
- Monitoring and assess surface water resources availability, suitability and susceptibility.
- Provide technical advice and guidance in the planning and development of surface water resources.
- Provide hydrological input into the designing of hydraulic structures such as Dams, Canals, and Weirs for water allocation.
- Monitor surface water projects and programmes.
- Undertake a timely review of water resources status, designs, operation and maintenance of the Hydrometric.
- Conduct hydrological assessments, drainage and flood water studies.
- Investigate and provide advice on surface water pollution matters to find solutions.
- Prepare and update appropriate hydrological maps for use in the monitoring of surface water resources
- Provide technical support in the installation and maintenance of groundwater observation equipment.
- Provide technical advice for granting surface water
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports pertaining to updating the surface water database.
- Prepare annual hydrological yearbooks for the catchment
- Prepare reports for flood and drought early warning updates for water-related disasters and risk management at the catchment level
- Performs any other duties that may be delegated from time to time by superiors.
Method of Application
Interested persons should send their application letters supported by copies of certified academic and professional qualifications with detailed cv’s with three (3) traceable referees not later than 17:00hrs on 30th july, 2021 to the address below via the following email : email@example.com IN THE THE SUBJECT LINE, PLEASE INDICATE THE SPECIFIC POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR; ONLY THOSE APPLICATIONS THAT REFERENCE THE POSITION IN THE SUBJECT LINE WILL BE CONSIDERED.
The Acting Director Human Resources & Administration
Water Resources Management Authority
Plot No LN-385-7 & 385-8, Alick Nkhata Road
Po Box 51059
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED. YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY IF YOU DON’T MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.