COMPANY NAME: FIRST QUANTUM MINERALS
Requisition Number: 510797
Contract Type: On-going
Categories: Administration, Construction, Engineering, Environmental, Health & Safety, Legal, Mine Geology, Mining, Operations / General Management, Services
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Operate within and observe all relevant and applicable laws of Zambia.
- Ensure appropriate Safety Management systems are in place for all areas of the mine site.
- The applicable requirements relating to the safety and health of employees, whether or not the requirements have the force of law, have been or being complied with.
- Deliver and promote a Safety culture within the company and promote adherence to safe operating procedures for all mine site activities.
- Develop and implement the Safety management system to ensure incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Ensure all required training in the use of the Safety management systems is undertaken to promote use of such systems.
- Monitor evaluate and review Safety policy and practice, make recommendations and create and implement new policies and procedures as required.
- Identify Safety training needs for site personnel, develop and ensure delivery of training as required ensuring accurate and timely recording of training completed.
- Provide support and participate to the implementation of the Visible Felt Leadership program on site.
- Ensure monitoring of sub-contractors’ safety performance and conduct quarterly audits to ensure compliance to the “Health & Safety requirements for contractors “procedure.
- Ensure all Legal appointments are in place per section.
- Advise the management team on current and emerging health, safety and welfare legislation, including evaluation and recommendation of options and generation of action plans to ensure compliance across the organisation.
- Support the management team to maintain safe systems and processes, through the provision of specialist advice, coaching and practical support within the departments.
- Compile a workplace inspection matrix and ensure all work places are visited on a monthly basis in your section.
- Must oversee general safety behavioural surveys when required (Think, Toolbox talks etc.)
- Assist fellow managers to implement departmental safety systems and procedures to meet specific requirements, such as accident reporting and route cause analysis in a consistent and effective manner.
- Implement safety audits to evaluate the effectiveness of Health and Safety systems and procedures to identify and implement improvements.
- Ensure routine health and safety activities and checks are undertaken e.g. testing of portable electrical appliances and the review of risk assessments.
- Vigorously ensure that thorough and documented investigations, applying root-cause analysis, are completed for all safety incidences ensuring that key findings are evaluated and processes are developed to prevent recurrence.
- Approve and implement any capital improvement projects within the Safety department.
- Maintain staff development and training programs, particularly skills transfer and mentoring in the Safety team.
- Actively manage development & succession planning for key talents and key roles.
- Champion and implement key organisational initiatives through the department.
- Produce daily and monthly safety reports.
- Prepare quarterly and annual operations budgets/forecasts for Safety.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Project Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in OSHE or Equivalent.
- Member of Relevant professional body
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to understand and interpret Mining Regulation and safety regulations
- Valid Driving License
- Expert knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and application in a mining environment
- Experience working in teams, previous experience working with multidisciplinary teams is a plus.
- At least 10 years’ experience in Safety Risk Management in a mining environment including at least 5 years in a senior leadership role.
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills with understanding of Health and Safety process improvement and incident control strategies.
- Should be a Zambian national
Applications close: 28 Feb 2020 FLE Standard Time
To apply for this job please visit careers.first-quantum.com.
Related Jobs (2)
Hair dresser on March 2, 2020 Full Time
DREAD LOCKS & SALON SPECIALIST on January 16, 2020 Full Time