One billion people in the world do not have access to a qualified health worker. THET has a vision of a world where everyone everywhere has access to quality healthcare. We achieve this by training, educating and supporting health workers in Africa and Asia, working in partnership with organisations and volunteers from across the UK. Founded in 1988 by Professor Sir Eldryd Parry, THET is the only UK charity with this focus.
For thirty years, THET has developed health worker education through partnerships with the British government, overseas Ministries of Health and global bodies such as the World Health Organization. Partnering with over 130 NHS Trusts, Royal Colleges and academic institutions.
THET has been working in Zambia since 2009, focusing on a number of its most urgent health needs via quality improvement, and strengthening the medical education available to health care professionals, including working in collaboration with the Ministry of Health to develop Masters of Medicine programmes in Anaesthesia, Pathology and Psychiatry, as well as developing the first pre-service training programme for medical equipment maintenance professionals, and the first BSc and MSc in Human Nutrition available in Zambia.
The Programme Manager will report directly to the Country Director and will line manage a Programme Support Officer ensuring appropriate support is provided, as well as working closely with the Finance team both in Zambia and London offices. They will be responsible for supporting the placements of Biomedical Equipment Technologists (BMETs) in district level hospitals across four provinces to increase the up-time of medical equipment.
Specific tasks of the Programme Manager
Day to day management of the Health Technology Management Improvement project including:
- Providing oversight of the planning and timely implementation of the HTM programme activities to ensure high quality delivery.
- Managing budgets and providing timely and accurate financial reports to donors and THET London as well as monitoring expenditure against budget.
- Facilitate excellent coordination of programme activities, planning and dissemination between internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with relevant partners in Government, including the Ministry of Health, health facilities, training institutions, NGOs and donor organisations.
- Support and contribute to relevant meetings and workshops to further the goals of the programme.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an overall advocacy strategy related to the programme’s goals and outcomes.
- Ensure quality of programme interventions and the seeking of relevant advice from partners and contacts
- Developing and updating a master contact list for key stakeholders
- Attend external meetings including with the MoH, key partners and relevant stakeholders whenever necessary
New Business Development
- Lead on identifying and assessing funders for the continuity of the HTM project
- In liaison with the London office contribute to writing funding proposals and submit these to potential funders
- Contribute to the preparation of budgets for proposals
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Overall responsibility for timely and accurate reporting within THET and to donors and stakeholders on programme activities, outcomes and impact.
- Responsible for communicating monitoring, evaluation and learning strategies and activities with partners.
- In liaison with the MEL team in London, contribute to developing M&E reporting templates
- Lead on the development of donor report with support from the Project Support Office and HTM Consultant
- Contribute the development of a THET Zambia Communications strategy
- Lead on the periodic collection of communications materials for programmatic purposes including:
- Interviewing key programme beneficiaries
- Drafting case studies and other communications materials as required
- General Support
- Any other duties as required and directed by the Country Director
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline would be desirable
- Proven project management experience is mandatory, along with preparing and managing budgets and donor contracts, high-level stakeholder engagement and writing donor reports.
- Experience of programme development, including donor tracking, proposal/ project development.
- Excellent financial / numeracy skills, including experience of budget preparation/ tracking.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation and/or research.
- Experience of preparing and delivering written and verbal communications to a range of audiences
- Experience of team working – able to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience working in an NGO
- Understanding of international development and global health issues.
- Knowledge of project management and the project cycle.
- Knowledge of health technology
- Knowledge of donor trends and interests
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with UK and overseas partners as well as senior staff from diverse organisations.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office software (word processing and spreadsheets)
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage competing deadlines.
- Team player able to work independently when required and to manage a diverse and heavy workload
- Strong commitment to THET’s cause and values
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Intercultural sensitivity and awareness
- Awareness of Monitoring and Evaluation principles
Be willing to work in travel to rural areas
Method of Application
Those wishing to apply should send there CVs and cover letter to email@example.com on or before 26th October 2020
THET is an equal opportunity employer and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
For more information about THET, please visit, www.thet.org
Related Jobs (28)
RESTORING FAMILY LINKS NATIONAL OFFICER on March 9, 2021 Full Time
RESTORING FAMILY LINKS TRACING ASSISTANT on March 9, 2021 Full Time
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer on October 23, 2020 Full Time
Grants and Compliance Manager on October 23, 2020 Full Time
Grants and Compliance Manager on October 23, 2020 Full Time
PROJECTS OFFICER on October 23, 2020 Full Time
ART/TB Specialist – X 3 on October 12, 2020 Full Time
Provincial Development Coordinators (2) on September 18, 2020 Full Time
Programme Coordinator on March 3, 2020 Full Time
Translator / Proof Reader on March 2, 2020 Temporary