Hivos Southern Africa
Hivos Southern Africa aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and the planet.
To support our Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights programme generate new policy, advocacy, lobbying and campaign initiatives and mobilise resources we are looking for a:
Programme Officer- Policy, Advocacy & Campaigns
Aim of the Job
The essential purpose of this role is to contribute to deepening the impact and effectiveness of Hivo’s policy and lobbying work at both national and regional level. With support from the Programme Manager, the Programme Officer – Policy, Advocacy & Campaigns will design and deliver high impact policy, advocacy and campaign plans and interventions with a focus on positioning youth at the heart of meaningful participation and decision-making in the Adolescent Sexual and Reroductive Health & Rights (ASRHR) discourse in East and Southern Africa. The positiont will also have a role in ensuring greater coherence in our advocacy work across the programme and work closely with the communications team at the regional and global office to ensure maximum impact of the programmes’s media content.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical assistance to CSO partners, and other organizations on the development and implementation of effective advocacy strategies/initiatives or approaches on key SRHR policies and programmatic issues in East and Southern Africa.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and networks with key SRHR stakeholders in Kenya, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe and within East and Southern Africa, including key government ministries, SADC and EAC Secretariats, the African Union (AU), policymakers, multi-lateral organizations, private-sector institutions, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), civil society organizations (CSOs), professional associations, and educational and research institutions.
- Design and conduct national and regional mainstream and social media campaigns towards achieving project goals.
- Design and produce content for use in training materials, information packs, information, education and communication materials to support lobby and advocacy activities
- Identify, support and work with all project beneficiaries and stakeholders to meet the intended priority outcomes among the rights holders and duty bearers
- Contribute to the development, documentation, and dissemination of cross-country lessons learned, best practices, and experience.
- Represent Hivos at national, regional, and international conferences and events, and on relevant SRHR policy forums, coalitions and working groups, as necessary.
- Undertake other policy, advocacy, lobbying and campaign activities as may be identified by the programme manager;
- Masters Degree in political science, law or other policy related studies
- An under graduate degree in political science, development studies, international relations or other related social sciences.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in leading policy-related development initiatives and regulatory reform in the development and public sector, primarily in East and Southern Africa.
- At least five years’ experience in project management and supervision;
- Proven writing and analytical skills with experience of writing policy briefs and reports, and articles for the media
- Prior experience in sub granting and grants manangement will be an added advantage.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Experience of delivering impact in advocacy, campaigning or lobbying in an NGO, public policy or similar environment
- Experience managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships;
- Strong and proven analytical ability to design and evaluate policy options for SRHR and public health in east and Southern Africa.
- Proven ability to develop collaboration across a variety of organizations, including from the private sector and civil society;
- Proven ability to engage in high-level policy dialogue with governments, with a strong capacity to influence governments’ development agendas;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills.
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with a range of software applications including MS Excel, MS Word, and project management applications.
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Zambia. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid workpermit for Zambia. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
For more information on Hivos visit www.hivos.org
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), send a letter explaining your motivation and your CV to:
Hivos e-mail: email@example.com (With SRHR PO – Policy & Campaigns in the subject line)
Deadline: 28 February 2020
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Jobs (28)
RESTORING FAMILY LINKS NATIONAL OFFICER on March 9, 2021 Full Time
RESTORING FAMILY LINKS TRACING ASSISTANT on March 9, 2021 Full Time
Programme Manager on October 23, 2020 Full Time
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer on October 23, 2020 Full Time
Grants and Compliance Manager on October 23, 2020 Full Time
Grants and Compliance Manager on October 23, 2020 Full Time
PROJECTS OFFICER on October 23, 2020 Full Time
ART/TB Specialist – X 3 on October 12, 2020 Full Time
Provincial Development Coordinators (2) on September 18, 2020 Full Time
Programme Coordinator on March 3, 2020 Full Time