The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is the leading Think Tank in Zambia, with a distinctly international mien. The Think Tank provides a conducive environment for creative thinking and conducting policy analysis and research, dialogue and advocacy and capacity building and training. The Institute’s has overtime, grown to become a critical reference in the social and economic policy discourse in Zambia. To support the Executive Director to effectively engage with stakeholders and promote evidence-based policies, ZIPAR seeks experienced policy analysts/researchers to fill the position of Research Fellow I for its Human Development Unit.
Under the supervision of the Senior Research Fellow, the successful candidate will manage the operations of the Human Development Unit of ZIPAR. She/he will develop and implement study programmes on wide-ranging socio-economic issues and the political economy of development including but not limited to:
(i) The household economy i.e., livelihood, poverty and inequality;
(ii) industrial relations, labour markets and social protection;
(iii) Education, skills development; health, child protection and development
(iv) Gender and inequality in development; and
(v) Cross-cutting issues.
The successful candidate will thus be expected to provide quality and timely policy commentaries, advisory services, provide capacity building and training to address critical bottlenecks to the uptake of evidence-based policy advice, and contribute to resource mobilisation. Moreover, the successful candidate will be expected to use appropriate podia to effectively disseminate evidence-based policy advice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Research Fellow, the Research Fellow I-Human Development will be responsible for:
- Coordinating and conducting policy analysis and research and relating the findings to practical policy problems in Zambia and the regional economic communities;
- Undertaking economic simulations to establish economywide impacts of policy shifts and economic shocks;
- Drafting and editing policy documents, research reports, policy briefings, memoranda, literature reviews and ‘popular’ versions of research findings appropriate for users and beneficiaries;
- Overseeing the organisation of events and seminars including policy briefings, consultative workshops and deliberative forums as required;
- Supervising and mentoring subordinate researchers in the respective Unit.
- Contributing to the identification and development of flagship projects for ZIPAR;
- Seeking and identifying fundraising and research opportunities that strategically support ZIPAR’s mission and contributing to the development of grant proposals for core financing and technical proposals for consultancies;
- Contributing to the formulation and implementation of strategies to further the mission of ZIPAR;
- Developing and managing budgets and work plans in line with ZIPAR strategic plan;
- Participating in the monitoring, evaluation and institutional learning activities including period management and project reporting;
- Undertaking media work where required by for example writing press releases and drafting media articles;
- Develop and actively manage a network of contacts in the Government, the region, development partners, academia, private sector and civil society;
- Publishing the findings of research projects in appropriate outlets including peer review journals;
- Representing ZIPAR at national, regional and international events as requested by the Executive Director; and
- Such other appropriate duties as may be allocated by the Executive Director or a Senior Research Fellow.
Required Attributes and Competences
- Excellent grasp of social development and economic theory;
- Excellent knowledge of the Zambian economy and the contemporary social and economic policy issues requiring remedial actions;
- Proven skills and experience in conducting both quantitative and qualitative research, and ability to work with complex data sets
- Demonstrable ability to conduct economic modelling/simulations;
- Excellent technical writing and analytical skills
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, statistical packages such as SPSS, Stata, R and internet search engines;
- Proven project management and team leadership skills including the ability to manage a number of projects at one time;
- Keen attention to detail and demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment;
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral in English;
- Demonstrable ability to present research findings in various formats and for different audiences;
- An ability to organize consultative, dissemination and raining events such as seminars, workshops, expos, briefings and validation events;
- Demonstrable ability to lead and manage a team, to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate confidently and positively with a range of people both internally and externally; and
- Self-motivated, self-directed, creative, organized, and deeply committed to personal and organizational excellence.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of Master’s degree in Economics, Social Development Studies or a closely related field.
- An earned PhD in any relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Grade 12 School Certificate with a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credits or its equivalent, including Mathematics and English.
- At least Six (6) years of work experience as a researcher.
- Significant evidence of research conducted with at least five (5) published non-academic reports, and
- At least 3 years management work experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications, electronically, with appropriately sealed supporting documentation all in a single email to email@example.com:
The applications should be clearly marked with job title and applicant’s name hyphenated, i.e., Research Fellow I – Public Finance – Jerry Luangwa, as the subject of the email and should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
P.O. Box 50782
ZIPAR is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Related Jobs (17)
Teacher of English/Literature at Simba International School on July 20, 2021 Full Time