Position Title: Wetlands Officer
Reports to: Freshwater Team Lead, WWF Zambia
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Landscape: Kafue, Luangwa (Zambezi)
I. Major Function
The Wetlands Officer will be in charge of knowledge and influence on policy related issues and training of DMCs, as well as engaging on legislation issues. He/she will support the team in running a variety of freshwater projects in the Luangwa catchment & the Kafue Flats. The Wetlands Officer will further galvanize support from funding and implementing partners to realise implementation of the 2018 Zambia Wetlands Policy. He/she will undertake responsibilities related to planning, reporting, budgeting, and monitoring & evaluation and on-going logistics in support of field activities related to this role. In addition, he/she will mobilise and engage project staff and partners as well as all the stakeholders involved in wetlands issues in Kafue Flats and other key landscapes.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Technical Tasks (60%)
- Work closely with the freshwater team to address the shared water risks in the Kafue and Luangwa catchments and provide arguments for improved water management.
- Investigate & identify the most efficient solution for having the Dam Management Committees (DMCs) to be recognized as legal entities in relevant project sites within the Luangwa catchment.
- Mobilize relevant staff and partners to build capacity in the DMCs on roles and functions of a management committee.
- Ensure well-structured, simple and easily implemented management plans are developed for the DMCs.
- Participate in the development of a user-friendly handbook with guidelines on effective and participatory fisheries management procedures for the Zambian context.
- Catalyze action for improved fisheries management in the Luangwa & Kafue Flats.
- Work closely with the freshwater team to address the shared water risks in the Kafue Flats and provide arguments for improved water management.
- Promote CBNRM (Community Based Natural Resource Management) in the context of the Kafue Flats and work closely with Water Stewardship team to incorporate these aspects in projects.
- Liaise with and represent the programme with key stakeholders related to wetlands, such as the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Land & Natural Resources, and Ministry of Water Development, Sanitation and Environmental Protection, local and international NGOs, Private Sector, communities and individuals at district and community levels for the development & implementation of the Kafue flats restoration plan.
- Leverage and influence key stakeholders to catalyze the development and implementation of the National Wetlands Policy.
- Catalyze action for the control of invasive species.
2. Program Planning, Monitoring & Coordination Tasks (30%)
Implement, together with programme team members and partners, impact monitoring plans with indicators to assess the effectiveness of programme interventions.
Support the development and maintenance of close relationships and constructive dialogue with academic partners and research institutions, for joint research, exchange of information and staying abreast with new developments in the field of water, nutrition or energy policies in the region.
lead the development and maintenance of relationships with local & regional scientific institutions and networks.
Engage with Fisheries, International Crane Foundation, WARMA, DNPW, local and international NGOs, private sector, communities and individuals at district and community levels.
Conduct field visits as required to support and verify project activities.
3. Freshwater Programme Development and Implementation (10%)
Support development, design and submission of fundraising proposals
Support project and programme development as required, including contributing to formulation of annual work-plans and specific program activities.
Support the convening of partners for WWF- led technical meetings and workshops.
Contribute to the preparation of content for the Freshwater Program communication material, including content for the WWF Zambia website and supporting social media.
- MSc in Freshwater Ecology, Environmental Management, IWRM, Ichthyology, Development Studies, Resources Economics or any relevant field;
- Bachelor’s-level degree in the field of Wetlands Management, Social Anthropology, Natural Resources Management, Biology. Additional training in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience – including at least 3 years of fieldwork – project management, planning and implementation. Experience with stakeholders’ engagement and fisheries management in Zambia will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the institutional and legal framework pertaining wetlands, as well as of relevant policy issues in Zambia.
- Good analytical skills, including ability to process large amounts of data in Excel
Required Skills and Competencies
- Proven leadership, facilitation and stakeholder engagement skills;
- Experience in working with traditional leaders, leading and collaborating with multi-sectorial teams as well as senior Government officials;
- Skills in project planning and implementation, monitoring, financing, management and reporting;
- Excellent inter-personal and lobbying skills, including the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders and partners at district and community levels,
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Excellent conflict management and mitigation skills in local community environments.
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in the Kafue Flats wetland is an asset
- Clean driver’s license
IV. Line Management:
The incumbent will report to the Freshwater Team Lead. As well as being an integral part of WWF-Zambia Freshwater Team, the post-holder will be expected to work closely with the Freshwater Team Lead, and other thematic project leaders and teams. He/she will also work in close partnership with colleagues across the WWF Network, especially, the Freshwater Team in WWF US and WWF Netherlands and other relevant international institutions.
How to Apply;
To apply for this role, all applicants must send their Cover Letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th August, 2021. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.