The LUSAKA APEX MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (LAMU) is a privately owned University, registered by the Ministry of Higher Education under the Higher Education Authority ACT No. 4 of 2013 to provide Higher Education in Medical Education. LAMU is regulated by the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ), the General Nursing Council (GNC), Technical Education, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training Authority (TEVETA). Lusaka Apex Medical University is looking for a mature, proactive, highly motivated and result oriented Zambian with high degree of credibility to fill the position of:
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
To manage the collection, distribution and utilization of Financial Resources and advise Management in order to support and drive the University’s operations and programmes effectively and efficiently.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Develops and recommends to the Registrar appropriate Policy and strategy for the Finance Department aimed at enhancing effectiveness and efficiency and achievement of short, medium and long term goals.
- Consolidates Faculty/Departmental budgets proposals prepared according to Finance Department guidelines, in liaison with Planning and Budgets Officer, rationalizing projections against past trends, forecast earnings, trends in the national economy and the University’s priorities thereafter submits consolidated budget to Registrar for approval.
- Reviews daily, weekly and monthly cash flow reports to determine what is available and project future revenue to facilitate resource utilization planning devising measures to mitigate shortfalls in the short and long-term and advises the University Management accordingly.
- Manages financial resource distribution and utilization according to University priorities and competing needs whilst meeting shareholders, statutory and other financial obligations so as to support University operations and activities efficiently and effectively.
- Checks and verifies all payments with the aid of staff to ascertain that all payments are budgeted for and have supporting approved documentation to ensure only authorized expenditure is permitted.
- Prepares Management Accounts which include weekly and monthly budgetary and Business Reports, reflecting the performance of LAMU with recommendations to the Registrar as necessary
- Appraises Company investment plans and proposals to ascertain the financial implications and viability, advising management accordingly through the Director.
- Provides advice to Management on financial implications of resource allocation and other business decisions, reviewing financial evaluation of proposed projects to ensure the University’s interests are protected.
- Prepares and presents to the University Council financial statements and reports for the University, reflecting all aspects of its business operations, opportunities and trends with recommendations.
- Supervises Accounts staff involved in recording and processing transactions and books of accounts ensuring that entries are correctly posted and have supporting documents such as invoices, vouchers and requisitions which are duly approved.
- Prepares Financial Statements and Annual Reports according to accounting principles, including reconciliations to ensure records are correct and the correct position of the University is reflected to aid Management decision making.
- Reviews from time to time financial controls, systems and procedures making recommendations to the Registrar, including the setting up of new systems in order to improve on their effectiveness and minimize on weaknesses/inefficiency.
- Liaises with the Banks on a regular basis to reconcile accounts and obtain the best results from LAMU funds.
- Monitors progress on projects on a weekly basis through received reports from his deputy.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor, guide and discipline subordinates to enable them to overcome any challenges which they may face in their jobs.
- Computation, logistical and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and priorities and tight deadlines.
- Confidentiality, integrity and willingness to work long hours.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Grade 12 School University Entrance,
- Holder of ACCA or CIMA or ZICA,
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Must be ICT literate
- At least nine (9) years of post-qualification relevant work experience, of which (4) years must be at Management level.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates, meeting the above qualifications submit their applications including:
- Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of relevant professional and academic certificates,
- Three traceable referees and candidate’s personal contact day time details, including phone numbers.
Application letters must be clearly marked The Registrar- LAMU and addressed to:
Lusaka Apex Medical University Limited
Off Kasama Road
P. O. BOX 31909
Hard copy applications can be deposited at LAMU- Chalala Main Campus.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 18th August, 2021.