Our client is looking for a suitable candidate to lead our Zambia Office. The Country Operations Manager will oversee all aspects of our clients’ operations in Zambia, including business development, partnerships, financial management, and human resources. This is a maternity cover position, initially until 31st March 2023.
The Country Operations Manager is responsible for growing our clients’ portfolio in Zambia by identifying and cultivating new partnerships and funding opportunities and overseeing the development of high-quality proposals. He or she will oversee the design and delivery of impactful programmers which achieve sustainable behavior change in Zambia, working closely with external stakeholders such as the Ministry of Health or consortium partners. The post holder will also be responsible for ensuring stringent financial management in Zambia, including ensuring projects are delivered to budget and keeping high quality accurate financial records.
This is primarily an operational position, suited to someone with experience in business development, operations management, and NGO leadership. The ideal candidate will be extremely driven, demonstrate an impressive ability to juggle multiple workstreams, and be skilled at leading under pressure. Previous experience in global health, media production or mass media will be an advantage but is not a pre-requisite for the role.
More specifically, the Country Operations Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Business Development: Identify, scope, and pursue business development leads in Zambia, working in close coordination with the Development team. Develop concept notes, proposal narratives and budgets, and act as main point of contact for in-country donors.
- Partnerships: Actively develop partnerships with external stakeholders such as INGOs, NGOs, CSOs, research organizations, broadcast partners, and government departments; build and maintain strong working relationships with consortium partners and project implementation partners; represent our client externally.
- Financial Management: Manage national level budgets in line with internal procedures, including financial reporting, maintaining accurate records of income and expenditure, forecasting future expenditure within budgetary constraints. Oversee procurement and contracting in line with internal policies.
- HR: Manage our client Zambia staff (currently two further positions) and interns to deliver impactful campaigns in line with our clients procedures; provide performance management of staff and support to professional development; recruit high calibre individuals into team vacancies; oversee onboarding and offboarding of staff.
- Office Management: Oversee the day-to-day running of the our client office, ensuring prompt payment of rent and utilities, and maintaining stock of office provisions.
- Other tasks as required by our client.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience showing continued professional progression.
- Strong intellectual ability, as evidenced by an undergraduate level degree or similar qualifications in a relevant field and performance at interview.
- Proven business development experience, including partner identification and cultivation, budgeting, proposal writing, and leading successful bids.
- Extensive knowledge of the international development sector and funding environment in Zambia.
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentational abilities in English.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with partners and other stakeholders (internal and external), including those with differing agendas.
- Experience in building productive working relationships with stakeholders in national and local level government departments.
- Highly developed numerical skills, with demonstrable experience of finance and budgetary management relevant to the job description.
- Experience working with project management tools, including Gantt charts, logical frameworks, risk matrices, etc.
- Experience managing high performing teams, providing pastoral support and professional development.
- Ability and experience working with remote, international, and cross-disciplinary teams.
- Self-motivated, able to cope with uncertainty and with the confidence to take initiative. Resilient and good-humored under pressure.
- Permission to live and work in Zambia.
Desirable knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Knowledge and experience working within media production and/or mass media environments.
- Professional project/programmed management qualifications (PRINCE2, MSP, APMP etc).
- Knowledge and experience working in the health sector in Zambia.
Related Jobs (35)
OPERATIONS MANAGER on February 1, 2023 Full Time
FINANCE MANAGER on November 24, 2022 Full Time
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER on September 14, 2022 Full Time
Lodge Manager on August 3, 2022 Full Time
CLIENT RELATIONSHIP MANAGER on July 21, 2022 Full Time
SALES AGENT on May 19, 2022 Full Time
Sales agent on May 17, 2022 Full Time
TECHNICAL SALES EXECUTIVE on March 30, 2022 Full Time
Business Development Manager on March 8, 2022 Full Time
TELE-MARKETERS on February 18, 2022 Full Time