EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grade 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools. EDC is seeking applications for Accountant position for the USAID Let’s Read Project to be based in Lusaka.
Under the supervision of the Finance & Compliance Director, the Accountant is a key member of USAID Let’s Read Project finance team. The Accountant will be responsible for managing project expenditures and accounts.
Essential Functions, but are not limited to:
- Review all financial commitments and payments requests to ensure compliance with EDC’s Policies and Procedures. Assists the Finance and Compliance Director in the preparation of field office financial reports and tracking of spending.
- Manage QuickBooks and financial reporting tasks. Ensure that all payment vouchers are supported by complete and accurate documentation including supporting schedules and statements.
- Assist in gathering supporting documents for auditors during annual audits and project audits.
- Perform physical verification of Assets at least once per year to ensure that all assets are accurately recorded on the inventory register.
- Assist in preparation of information required for monthly closings (including scanning of payment vouchers), year-end closing, reviews, and statutory reporting.
- Ensure that monthly transactions are posted in Quick Books Accounting Software on a timely basis and maintains accurate record keeping of all transactions.
- Conducts checks on compliance with USAID’s Anti-Terrorist Certification (“ATC”) regulations.
- Manages the process of clearing bills, payments, and vouchers from Provincial Field Offices;
- Manages day to day finance operations, including implementing EDC and USAID policies, procedures, and systems, reviewing accounts payable documents for proper accuracy and completeness, and liaising with bank on all banking issues.
- Responsible for processing Provincial Offices fund transfer requests.
- Payment and liquidation of employee advances.
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
This position reports to the Finance and Compliance Director.
The candidate for the position of Accountant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field (or equivalent)
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 to 4 years of relevant accounting experience. Recent graduates with at least 2 years of Accounting experience working for nonprofit organizations are encouraged to apply.
- Expert Excel user, including pivot tables and advanced functions.
- Experience working with computers, especially MS Word and MS Excel
- Experience supporting USAID -funded projects.
- Experience working with QuickBooks accounting software.
- Ability to multi‐task, meet deadlines, and work in rapidly changing, deadline‐driven environment.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently and to communicate findings with the Finance and Compliance Director in a timely manner.
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Professional level fluency in English, both written and oral.
- Travel to field offices up to 10% to assist in training or hands-on finance support, as needed.
To apply, send your application letter and resume to: ZambiaJobs@edc.org, no later than April 13, 2021, listing “Accountant” in the Subject Line. Note: Emails submitted without a resume and/or Job Code in the Subject Line will not be reviewed.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Related Jobs (42)
BOOTH CASHIER on December 13, 2022 Full Time
ACCOUNTANT on December 13, 2022 Full Time
ACCOUNTANT on November 28, 2022 Full Time
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER – MICROFINANCE on September 29, 2022 Full Time
ASSISTANT ACCOUNTANT (1) ASSISTANT ACCOUNTANT – TEMP (1) on August 31, 2022 Full Time Temporary
Finance and Administration Manager on July 21, 2022 Full Time
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATOR on July 18, 2022 Full Time
Head Of Financial Servicers on July 6, 2022 Full Time
MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT on May 6, 2022 Full Time
ASSISTANT FINANCE MANAGER on May 4, 2022 Full Time