The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and malnutrition. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), FAO in Zambia will be partnering with the European Union, the Ministry of Agriculture and the Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT) to implement a program on Sustainable Intensification of Smallholder Farming Systems in Zambia (SIFAZ). The project will focus on building demonstrable synergies between research and promotion of appropriate sustainable agriculture intensification practices.
The Program Specialist (Data Analysis) works under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in Zambia and directly reports to the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA). The incumbent will work in close collaboration with implementing partners from Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and relevant FAO technical units in headquarters and in Zambia.
The incumbent will play a pivotal role in development and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation strategy for the European Union Funded Sustainable Intensification of Smallholder Farming Systems in Zambia (SIFAZ) project implemented by FAO Zambia.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Directly responsible for development of software tools for data entry and analysis of various data sets collected during the project. This includes provision of overall oversight and quality control during data entry activities, training and supervising of ad hoc data entry clerks, etc.;
- Directly responsible for development, implementation and maintenance of data collection systems, databases, data analysis syntaxes and other strategies throughout all data collection activities under the project;
- Substantively contributes to interpretation of data analysis results using statistical techniques and supports application of such results in routine project reposts and knowledge products;
- Substantively contributes to capacity building of participating partners in matters related to data collection, handling and management;
- Directly responsible for maintaining and updating of project implementation monitoring database, partner contracts, agro-dealers and participating farmers’ records;
- Contributes to the maintaining of monitoring systems for tracking of progress of activities implementation. This includes participating in the design of data collection methodologies (household surveys, community interviews, key informants, focus group discussions, etc.);
- Participates in the development of information products to support decision making during project progress review exercises and in preparation of advocacy material under the project;
- Participates in formulation of data collection tools and data collection exercise and report writing. This includes providing training and supervision of enumerators and a supporting role to stakeholders involved in data collection and analysis;
- Contributes to the timely production of cartographic products and mapping of various project interventions and progress. This includes liaison with GIS officer/mapping unit within Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock to ensure timely production of various maps on various project activities;
- Contributes to periodic reports on the progress of the project. This includes participation and contribution to the project knowledge management activities;
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned by management from time to time.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Extent and relevance of experience in communication and writing skills in English and any local languages
- Extent and relevance of experience working with national and local governments, donors, NGOs, academic and research institutions, including the conservative group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), is considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated and very good skills in info-graphics, publishing software and editing.
- Knowledge and experience with photography, video etc. will be an added advantage.
- Good interpersonal relationships and a strong personality, self-starter.
- National of Zambia.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: www.fao.org/employment/home/en
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile.
Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT