The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), on behalf of International Water Management Institute in Zambia invites applications from suitable dynamic and self-motivated Zambian Nationals to fill up the following position:
RESEARCH OFFICER – INNOVATIONS SCALING – REF NO: SARAH/RO/04/2021
Under the AICCRA Project leader and in close collaboration with the Climate Smart Agriculture component lead, the Research Officer will initiate, provide suggestions for, and monitor the small-scale irrigation (SSI) scaling partnership to promote private and public sector’s climate smart agricultural investments and interventions in Zambia as part of the AICCRA project.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support research on scaling and partnership activities for AICCRA and associated projects.
- Conducting field data collection, data analysis and writing scientific publications, policy briefs and technical reports in the areas of private and public sector’s SSI scaling interventions, SSI stakeholder analysis and mapping, co-identification of SSI scaling pathway with irrigated agricultural value chain actors, etc.
- Facilitating the collaboration among partners and researchers to pilot joint data collection and analysis, and monitoring and evaluating of SSI scaling pathways to document and present lessons learned to sustainably and equitably incentivize uptake;
- Identifying partnerships, policies and institutional requirements for testing approaches, technologies and investment propositions that have strong scaling potential;
- Assisting the AICCRA Project Leader with AICCRA implementation in Zambia, including:
- Implementing and facilitating field research activities;
- Representing the AICCRA project team in local events;
- Collating key information on project activities, outputs and outcomes;
- Providing inputs to quarterly and annual consolidated technical and relevant reports;
- Developing and presenting outreach and communication materials at relevant events;
- Organizing project events, including events organized by project partners;
- Supporting the coordination of research with subcontracted national partners;
- Performing other duties as may be assigned by the Project Leader.
- Facilitate, coordinate, and outreach of climate smart agriculture (CAS)/information services (CIS) scaling partnership
- Under direction of the project leader, oversee the development of scaling CSA/CIS pilot and partnerships in Zambia, researchers and external partners.
- Build and maintain CSAS/CIS scaling dialogue platforms and processes with national and regional stakeholders and research partners, including the private sector.
- In collaboration with the AICCRA project leader and IWMI team in other countries, facilitate relevant public and private sector partners in piloting CSA/CIS scaling pathways. Also coordinate activities, which includes: monitoring and evaluation; capacity building; stakeholder engagement; managing IITA is a member of the CGIAR Consortium outreach and communication to ensure AICCRA visibility and contributions to make an impact (e.g., workshops, conferences, web presence, social media, knowledge products/reports/briefs).
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An MA/MSc in social sciences or agricultural water management, with experience in agricultural innovation systems and scaling, or similar.
- At least 3 years’ relevant work experience, preferably in areas such as scaling of agricultural innovation, and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues and/or innovation platforms.
- Experience in transforming research into knowledge products for outreach and impact in Zambia and wider forms of development policy and practice influence.
- Proven track record in communicating research findings in conferences and other platforms.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to facilitate and coordinate multi-stakeholder partnerships in agri-business and irrigation, and gender and youth inclusion issues in Zambia.
- Ability to and maintain strong external partnerships and alliances in complex institutional
environments, including the private sector.
Ability to apply technical, economic and institutional reasoning to innovation scaling and policy issues in a critical manner
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and effectively with academic and non-academic stakeholders.
- Open mindset and ability to learn
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-institutional and multicultural environment.
- Excellent communication skills in English and the ability to explain complex issues clearly.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in at least one local language in Zambia.
- Experience in conducting research with private sector actors and investment in agriculture
Method of ApplicationInterested applicants should forward their detailed curriculum vitae and covering letter as One Document by email to IITA-Zambia@cgiar.org no later than 23rd July 2021. The application should be addressed to the Regional Hub Administrator.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted